-->

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Centered][caption2]

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Search

Powered by Blogger.
facebook follow follow me on instagram follow me on pinterest

It's Mardi Gras, Y'all!



This weekend marks the first parades of Mardi Gras season in New Orleans, so I couldn’t think of a better way to start this blog off than with a post about the legendary King Cake!

For those like me who were unaware, the legend says that the King Cake is believed to have originated in France during the 12th century. Early Europeans celebrated the three wise men’s arrival 12 days after Christmas, calling it the Feast of the epiphany, or King’s Day. Their celebration included the baking of a King’s Cake. The cake’s circular form portrays the route the Kings used to get to the Christ Child, which they took in order to confuse King Herod who, in efforts of killing the Christ Child, followed the wise men.

These days, we only find a plastic baby in our cakes. However, in the beginning, a bean, pea, or coin was hidden inside the cakes. The person who found the hidden piece was declared King for the day or was said to have good luck in the coming year!

Where can you find such a meaningful cake? Well, King Cakes can be found in almost any grocery store, but if you’re looking for a super scrumptious one, I recommend ordering from the one and only SucrĂ© in New Orleans.

SucrĂ©'s fabulous King Cake 

Last month, a few of my sorority sisters and I attended a formal in New Orleans giving us the opportunity to experience Sucré not only with our eyes but with our taste buds as well! One of my friends could not stop raving about how amazing this bakery was, so it was quite a relief for all of us when we finally found it. I think I speak for all of us when I say finding this collection of heavenly treats was the highlight of the weekend. Although we did not get a chance to sample the King Cake, we were able to stuff our faces with their cupcakes, macaroons, and other delicious sweets.

Us at SucrĂ© in NOLA!

My mother was actually the one who brought their King Cake to my attention. She regularly sends me articles of certain baked goods and recipes from her Garden & Gun magazine that she thinks I’d be interested in, meaning she wants me to make it for her the next time I am home. She’s lucky I love her so darn much! Anyways, in this month’s edition, SucrĂ©’s King Cake is pictured! Along with its appearance in the mag, it was also voted 2011 BEST King Cake by a Washington Post blind taste test! Their signature buttery Danish pastry is filled with a one-of-a-kind creole cream cheese filling. The marvelous taste however, is not the only noteworthy characteristic – the yellow, purple, and metallic colorings atop each cake contribute to making this cake so inviting!

So as people parade on in such fun celebrations, join in on the tradition and indulge in Nola’s most delectable treat!

And if you're nowhere near the streets of Nola here is the link for mail orders! Enjoy :)
QuickEdit
Lgoodstat
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Lindsey] [img=https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vz7SW19ITak/WNxpelxwtGI/AAAAAAAAA44/zGXh6XxyeegCr8wupxXsGhmn4OHRD62VgCPcB/s100/DSC_0278.jpg] [description=Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm always always always looking for new recipes, decor ideas, and good company, so please feel free to leave a comment or reach out to me via email. Don't forget to subscribe for 203YP updates! And if you're looking to place an order, head to the "Request A Sweet Order" page!] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/linds.eli) (instagram=https://www.instagram.com/lgoodstat/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/lgoodstat/)

Follow @georgialoustudios